Wednesday 17 April 2019

One cut of the dead (5 Stars)


I first heard about this film a few months ago. It was getting rave reviews at festivals. The synopsis is that a director is making a low budget zombie film, but then a real zombie apocalypse breaks out and he continues filming.

In itself, that description is the basis for a brilliant film. However, there's more to it. I was shocked and surprised as the film carried on adding important elements to the story. I'm glad I didn't know more about the film before I went into the cinema today, so I shan't tell you more. It's one of those films like "The Sixth Sense" which are most effective the first time you watch them.

I can't begin to praise the film highly enough. It's the best film I've seen in the cinema this year. It's all the more amazing that film critics agree with me. It has a 100% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, which is usually the mark of a dull arthouse film. It's not just the critics, the public loves it as well. The cinema was almost sold out today, and there was loud laughter throughout the film.

The film is being shown in German cinemas, but apart from festival presentations no official release date has been set for England or America. An American remake is already being planned, which is scary. Can't they wait a few years? I doubt the remake will live up to the Japanese original, but I'll give it a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.