Sunday 26 March 2017

Power Rangers (3 Stars)


I didn't expect this film to be very good, but the trailers looked pleasantly flashy so I gave it a chance. I should have listened to my initial instincts.

The film goes through three phases.

1. The teenagers meet and become friends. This is the best part of the film. It's the equal of any American high school drama series.

2. The teenagers gain their powers and begin training. This theme has been done in countless other films, usually better. It's watchable, but nothing special.

3. The teenagers go into battle. This phase looks ridiculously silly. We can't relate to the villain, and the kids themselves have no distinct identities as super-heroes. If it weren't for their five different colours it would be impossible to tell them apart.

I'll be generous and give "Power Rangers" three stars. From what I've read the film has been highly praised in audience polls. It seems to be aimed at young teenagers who wants films that are flashy and trashy with a lot of wham-bam-wallop. This is supposedly the first of six Power Rangers films. I doubt I'll watch the other five.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.