Friday 10 November 2017

Jackie Brown (5 Stars)


Empire magazine (or at least one of its writers) calls this Quentin Tarantino's best film. I don't know if that's true or not. I find it difficult to decide. His films are all excellent, in different ways. My top 50 favourite film list contains seven of his eight films. The only film missing is "The Hateful Eight", which I consider to be below his usual standards, especially regarding the character development. Of the other seven, if you ask me at any time which I like the most I'll probably name the film I watched most recently.


One of the main reasons that I picked up this film today to watch it again is a discussion I had on Facebook. One of my friends -- you know who you are! -- asked us to name our biggest screen crush. I immediately named Jennifer Tilly, but then pointed out that Pam Grier had been my screen crush for years, for most of my adulthood. I only recently replaced her. I can't have a crush on more than one actress because I'm monocrushamous.

Nevertheless, Pam Grier is one of the hottest actresses who has ever lived, and "Jackie Brown" shows her at her peak. I'm not the only person who thinks like that. Quentin Tarantino was due to invite Pam Grier to play the title role in "Jackie Brown". She was about to arrive when Quentin realised that his office had four posters of Pam on the wall, and he was afraid that when she arrived she would accuse him of stalking her. What Quentin didn't say is whether or not he quickly removed them.

It's four years since I last watched "Jackie Brown". That's way too long for such a brilliant film. Rather than write a review today I'll just publish a series of screenshots from the film to show why I find this woman so beautiful.











The last photo is of Pam Grier with her co-star Robert Forster. As an actor he must be one of the luckiest men alive, because he got to kiss Pam Grier. His character in the film, Max Cherry, must be one of the stupidest men alive, because Jackie Brown asked him to live with her and he turned her down.

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.