Monday 11 November 2019

Klaus Schulze: In Blue (1995)


Klaus Schulze - In Blue

KS Canon 41

Track Listing (CD 1):

1. Into the Blue 78:25

Track Listing (CD 2):

1. Return of the Tempel 44:38
2. Serenade in Blue 34:19

Track Listing (Bonus Live CD):

1. Musique Abstract 25. May 1994, Lille 07:02
2. Return of the Tempel 19. May 1997, Berlin 13:51
3. Out of the Blue 1983, France 32:20

Notes:
(1) Manuel Göttsching plays guitar on both versions of "Return of the Tempel".
(2) Rainer Bloss plays keyboards on "Out of the Blue".

Rating: 3 Stars
Bonus Tracks: 5 Stars

This is the 31st solo album recorded by Klaus Schulze. The original double-CD was recorded in November-December 1994. Even though the double-CD only contains three tracks, when it was re-released in 2005 all three tracks were split into multiple smaller tracks. I don't know why the music company Revisited Records did this. Did they invent the names for the new titles themselves or get advice from KDM? I don't know, but I've omitted the titles of the sub-indexed mini-tracks as non-canon.

When "In Blue" was released it was highly praised by fans who didn't like the music in his sampling phase. Personally, I had nothing against his sampling, as long as the same sample wasn't repeated too often. I found "In Blue" disappointing when it was first released, and I've only partially warmed up to it since. I find the slow passages at the beginning and end of "Into the Blue" boring. I only enjoy the fast sequencer-driven passages in the middle. "Return of the Tempel" is slightly better, but the same criticism applies.

I find the quality of the tracks on on the bonus CD much better. They're a mix from different concerts in different years. As usual, KDM is doing his best to make Klaus Schulze's fans happy by packing as many extras as he can onto this re-release. Thank you, KDM! They're much appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.