Monday 28 August 2023

Blue Beetle (3½ Stars)


I had no idea what this film was about when I first saw it advertised. Then I read that Blue Beetle is a DC super-hero. Curioser and curioser. I'd never heard of him. So I searched online and found that he was created by Steve Ditko in 1939. So how come I'd never heard of him? Finally it became clear. Blue Beetle's adventures were published in Charlton Comics, a company whose comics I never read. Charlton was bought by DC in the 1980's, and Blue Beetle first appeared in DC comics in 1986. By that time I'd long given up reading DC, so there was no way for me to know him.

I was surprised to find that the cinema was almost sold out. There were only two seats left in the front row. None of the recent DC films have been so popular, not even "The Flash" or "The Batman". I asked a friend who works at the cinema, and he told me that "Barbie" and "Oppenheimer" (collectively called "Barbenheimer") have given cinemas a kickstart. Cinema attendance slumped as a result of the Corona pandemic, and apart from occasional blockbusters the audiences stayed at home. Ever since the Barbenheimer phenomenon things have gone back to normal.

It was an interesting audience, almost entirely youngsters, from 15 to 25. It was a rowdy audience. There was a lot of noise while the trailers were being shown, and some were still talking when the film started. I turned round and glared critically a few times.

The film is about Jaime Reyes, a 22-year-old Mexican boy who's possessed by a blue scarab, an alien artefact that builds a symbiotic relationship with him. If the Blue Beetle weren't such an old character, I'd say he's a Venom rip off. The alien is called Khaji-Da and talks in Jaime's head, sometimes giving him advice, sometimes taking complete control of his body.

A lot of the film is slap-stick. It's too much comedy for my taste. It's noticeable the film has no famous actors, with the exception of Susan Sarandon, and I wouldn't include her because her career has withered away in the last 20 years. Obviously DC didn't want to invest too much. I've read that "Blue Beetle" was originally intended to be released straight-to-streaming, but it was decided to give it a theatrical release at short notice. Based on the full cinema, it was the right choice. I wasn't overly impressed, but at least it's better than "The Flash".

4 comments:

  1. I haven't seen the film yet, so no comments on that (though i do like the character and know he's got great potential, i've no clue how they utilized him or the lore.)
    But a couple comments/corrections on Blue Beetle himself.
    When Blue Beetle began, Steve Ditko was 12 years old. The character was created by Charles Wojtkoski for Fox Comics. Your confusion comes from the fact that there were 3 Blue Beetles - Steve Ditko was responsible for the Silver Age version, Ted Kord, for Charlton Comics. Ted inherited the mantle from the Golden Age version, Dan Garret. Ted didn't use the scarab, he was a tech based hero with a big flying Beetle ship. (Night Owl in The Watchmen was based on that version of Blue Beetle).
    Jaime Reyes is the modern version for DC Comics, with the scarab coming to him via Ted Kord's research labs. (I don't believe that Ted is actually in the movie. He was supposed to be in the Arrowverse shows, but DC wanted to keep Blue Beetle for the movies, so they retooled the character and made Ray Palmer (the Atom) an industrialist like Ted Kord and swapped him. Ted never makes it to live action.)

    I suspect that one of the big reasons that James Gunn has declared Blue Beetle to be a part of the incoming DCU is that he could basically be to the DC films what the Guardians Of The Galaxy were to the Marvel movies. His lore is connected to other worlds, with the Beetle Scarab being a weapon of invasion for The Reach. This gives a nice key to opening up the "cosmic" side of the DCU.

    We'll have to wait and see how that plays out, but there's a lot of potential waiting to be tapped there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the information. Didn't James Gunn say that Blue Beetle isn't part of the DCU? Or DCEU. I get confused. But then again, DC continuity has been a mess as long as the company has existed.

      You made so many comments while I was on holiday and/or computerless. I've approved them all, but I still need to go back and reply to them. I like to have the last word :)

      Delete
    2. I believe that what Gunn said was that the film is not a part of the upcoming DCU, but the character (and actor) is.
      There never actually was a DCEU. The DC Extended Universe was just a term that some journalist used since there wasn't an official name and a lot of folks used it. But it made no sense to me. It was just the Film Universe. The Extended Universe would include the Animated Movies and TV Series and that sort of thing. So i always called it the DCFU, like the way they officially referred to the DCAU (Animated Universe, with the much better series of animated films running from The Flashpoint Paradox to Justice League Dark: Apocalypse War.)

      Yeah, i felt kind of guilty about piling all those on while you were out. Sorry about that. Don't fret; my time sense is quite abstract and i'm mentally buried in 3 concurrent projects, so i won't notice the wait.

      Delete
    3. It doesn't bother me at all that you were making so many comments while I was away. It's the other way round: I felt guilty for not replying to them faster. I've now gone through your comments and replied to almost all of them. I just omitted a couple where my reply would only have been "Yes, I agree".

      By the way, there's something weird about this post. I share all my posts on Facebook. I've been doing so for the last 10 years, maybe longer. But this post is different. Facebook has blocked the image at the top of the post. Copyright reasons? Maybe, but why this image after not having any problems with my last 5000 posts?

      Delete

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.