Saturday 12 February 2011

A Good Marriage (2 Stars)

Eric Rohmer's films are difficult to review, as I've pointed out in my reviews of My Girlfriend's Boyfriend and Pauline at the Beach. They are films that can be best enjoyed on an intellectual level. The message that Rohmer wants to put across is usually hidden beneath layers of imagery.

Here we see a young woman, Sabine, who wants to be strong and decisive, but her erratic nature lets her down. Though I doubt it was Rohmer's intention, this is a very anti-feminist film. After realising that her affair with a married man has no future Sabine flings herself at the first single man she meets, then tells her family and friends that they will soon marry, even though he is only interested in a casual relationship with her. This is a disturbing film that I doubt I shall watch again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.