Yesterday I was sad to hear the news of Hayden Panettiere's death. I
immediately decided to watch one of her films to remember her, but I had to
delay it because I'd already bought a ticket to watch
"The End of Oak Street". I picked "I love you, Beth Cooper" not because it's her best film, but
because it's the film in which she has the most screen time.
Dennis Cooverman is the school valedictorian, and during his graduation speech
he suddenly declares his love for Beth Cooper, the most popular girl in
school. He's sat behind her in class for years, but he barely knows her. To
his amazement, Beth turns up at his house that evening with two friends, and
what follows is a chaotic night in which Dennis discovers that Beth
is very different from the perfect girl he's created in his imagination.
I wouldn't call "I Love You, Beth Cooper" a great film. It's a silly teen
comedy, but it's good fun while it lasts. There's not much in the film that's
memorable, apart from Hayden Panettiere. She gives Beth an energy and
personality that lifts the film whenever she's on screen.
Beth is confident, reckless and seemingly carefree, but there are quieter
moments when we see that there's more to her than the beautiful girl Dennis
has been dreaming about. Hayden makes those different sides of Beth
convincing. The film gives her plenty of opportunity to be funny and
exuberant, but also allows her to show Beth's vulnerability.
Don't ask me to defend "I Love You, Beth Cooper". I
watched it because I wanted to remember Hayden Panettiere. For that purpose, I
couldn't have chosen better.
|
|
Hayden Panettiere August 21, 1989 – August 16, 2026 |
Success Rate: - 1.1
![]() |
Order from Amazon.com |
| Order from Amazon.co.uk | |
| Order from Amazon.de |




No comments:
Post a Comment
Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.