Saturday, 8 August 2026

Madonna - Ray Of Light


I've never been a Madonna fan, but "Ray of Light" was different. It's a magnificent album, and much of its magic comes from William Orbit. He was the perfect match for Madonna, giving her music a depth and atmosphere that I've never heard on any of her other albums.

Today I'm listening to "Ray of Light" again, but this time it feels different. William Orbit passed away on 23rd July 2026, aged only 69, and the news of his death has only just been announced. It's sad to listen to his music knowing that he's gone, but it's also a reminder of what he left behind.

Above all, there's "Frozen". I've loved the song ever since I first heard it. Madonna's voice is beautiful, but it's Orbit's production that turns it into something extraordinary. The music seems to float around her voice, haunting and dreamlike, building into something that still sends shivers through me after all these years. I don't say this lightly: "Frozen" is one of the best pop songs ever recorded.

William Orbit may be gone, but as long as people continue to listen to "Ray of Light", they'll hear his genius. R.I.P. William Orbit.

William Orbit
15 December 1956 – 23 July 2026

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.