Friday 16 December 2011

Eric and Ernie (4½ Stars)


I already watched this biographical film on television in January and reviewed it here. I bought the DVD as soon as the price dropped to something I was willing to pay. I never buy DVD's when they're new. Patience is a virtue. If a film is good now it'll still be good next year, so why rush? I can watch last year's good films first.

I don't have anything to add to my original review, except that after a second watching I've added an extra half star. I still think that the film ended too soon. Maybe one day a second film will be made dealing with Eric and Ernie's success years from 1961 to 1984.

Eric Morecambe and Ernie Wise were not just Britain's best ever comedy duo, they were an important part of British culture in the second half of the 20th Century. It's fair to say that nobody in Britain didn't know them, and very few disliked them. Their Christmas television shows were the most viewed programmes of the year. For some reason they're practically unknown in other countries. Their shows are not shown in America, despite America's fascination with British comedy. I strongly advise anyone who likes British comedy to check them out, especially their BBC series that ran from 1968 to 1977. This is generally considered their best work, although I personally like their earlier and later series just as much. If you're able to watch Region 2 PAL DVD's they're available from Amazon in the UK. Click the picture below for the link.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.