Sunday 16 December 2012

Vertigo (3½ Stars)


When people talk about Alfred Hitchcock they always name two films: "Psycho" and "The Birds", usually in that order. I know both films well from their constant repeats on British television while I was growing up. For many years I've been told that many film critics consider a film called "Vertigo" to be his best work, but I've never had a chance to see it till now.

James Stewart plays John Ferguson, a former police detective who has quit his job after an accident that led to another policeman's death. A rich friend of his asks him to follow his wife, because she has been acting strangely. He thinks that she is being possessed by the spirit of her great-grandmother. At first he observes her secretly, but when he sees her attempt suicide by drowning he has to reveal himself to save her life. From this point on a relationship develops between the two.

I have a problem with Alfred Hitchcock's films. All of them. I'm sure the critics are right and I'm wrong. This is a film that deserves more then the 3½ stars I've given it. My problem is that his films seem so dated. The clothing, the way of talking, everything seems to be a relic of a different era. My apologies to Hitchcock fans, my ratings are subjective, and I can't rate it higher.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.