Saturday 10 August 2013

Raptor (3¾ Stars)


This film was produced by Roger Corman, and shows elements of his style throughout, but for me it's more typical of the director Jim Wynorski. Jim seems to have an even bigger knack than Roger of making watchable films on small budgets. "Raptor" is no masterpiece, but it's fun to watch. The special effects are laughable, but the story is believable, the action is gripping, and as in all of Jim's films the female actors are first rate eye candy. His monster films have a distinct 1950's feel to them.

Unfortunately, many of his films never make it onto DVD. He makes his films to be shown on late night television channels, i.e. American television channels, so people like me who live in England don't get a chance to see them. I hope this will change. I have a feeling that Jim's time will come. Despite the large volume of his work he's largely unknown, but one day he'll find the recognition he deserves. I estimate that I have about a dozen of his films in my DVD collection. Maybe I'll have a Jim Wynorski month in the near future. Watch this space.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.