Thursday 20 October 2016

I still know what you did last summer (5 Stars)


This is my Halloween Challenge film #20. It's a sequel to "I know what you did last summer" and was made one year later in 1998. I've caught up with my schedule very fast after missing a film yesterday. It wasn't that difficult. I was desperate to distract myself from the current sorrow in my life. Apart from that, this is the third time I've reviewed this film since 2010, and every time I watch it I watch it back to back with the original film on the same day. The two films are worth watching as a pair.

I find it difficult to understand why critics have savaged this film. It has a Rotten Tomatoes rating of  only 7%. The critics call it "boring and predictable". Did they watch the same film as me? Nothing about it is boring. Even after watching it a dozen times I'm still sitting on the edge of my seat from beginning to end.

I call this film Iskwiddle, in contrast to Ickwiddle for the first film. If you want to know why I've picked these names check my last review. I'm not going to make it easy for you! Iskwiddle isn't as dark as Ickwiddle in the lighting. Many of the scenes take place on the bright beach of Tower Bay Island in the Bahamas. However, the film's subject matter is just as dark. There are no laughs in either film. This isn't "Scream", far from it.

The body count is higher, and the killing starts earlier. In Ickwiddle there were five deaths, of whom only one person (Max) was killed in the first half. In Iskwiddle there are nine deaths, including the unnamed person placed dead in the road, and four of the deaths are in the first half. This doesn't detract from the suspense in the slightest.

Alongside the Scream trilogy, this is one of the great slasher movies of the 1990's. In fact, it's one of the greatest slasher movies of all time. Why don't they make teen slasher films like this any more? It's time to reunite Kevin Williamson and Jim Gillespie to kick off a new teen slasher franchise for the 21st Century.

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.