Sunday 24 December 2017

Emerald Green (4½ Stars)


This is the third and final part of the Ruby Red trilogy. For anyone who has any doubts, it's proof that Germany can handle big budget fantasy epics.

Gwendolyn's life is getting more and more complicated. She's just found out that she was adopted. She's suffering from a broken heart after Gideon turned against her in the second film. The world is plunging into financial chaos as the Lodge's inner circle manipulates the stock markets, forcing the largest banks to close. Count Saint-Germain is about to become immortal and rule the world. Gwendolyn's history teacher has become the Lodge's grandmaster and won't let her off her homework. Buffy the Vampire Slayer could have dealt with it because it happened to her every week, but it's a major crisis for Gwendolyn. There's only one thing she can do. She needs a break. She goes back to Scotland in 1920 to be trained in fighting skills by her father. Her real father.


The exact location in Scotland isn't divulged in the film, but I can tell you where it was filmed. It's the Island of Skye, one of the most beautiful places on Earth. If I had to undergo physical training in order to save the world it's the place I would go. The stunning scenery would grant me inner peace.


I admit it. Whenever a film takes place in Scotland I would rather show you photos of the landscape than write about the film. Can you blame me?


All good things come to an end. Gwendolyn has to put on her tightest leather costume and travel back to 1762 to battle Count Saint-Germain to the death. The 18th Century never knew what hit it. (Before any fans of the film complain, I know that's not the Count in the picture. It's the best screenshot I could make of Gwendolyn's costume).


I have to end this "review" with yet another panoramic view of Skye. That's probably the Scottish mainland in the distance. I hope that it will give my readers inspiration for their next holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.