Saturday 31 July 2021

The Bugs Bunny Road Runner Movie (5 Stars)


I have to be thankful to my grandson Oliver. He was clicking around on Netflix, looking for cartoons, and he found this "film". I put the word film in apostrophes, because it's actually a compilation of short cartoons. The cartoons were made from 1949 to 1958, and they're linked by a commentary on the cartoons which was filmed in 1978. In the bridge sequences Bugs Bunny appears in a bath robe, looking like a rabbit version of Hugh Hefner.

These are the Looney Tunes cartoons made by Warner Brothers from 1930 to 1969, in colour from 1943 onwards. They were directed and animated by different people over the years, but there's a consistent style of chaotic races and chases. I used to watch them on television while I still lived with my parents. I haven't seen any Looney Tunes cartoons since, but I've never forgotten them. They're brilliant, better than the Walt Disney Cartoons made at the same time.

The main characters in the first hour are Daffy Duck and Bugs Bunny. In the last 20 minutes there are a series of short scenes showing Road Runner being pursued by Wile E. Coyote. It's an incredible collection. The individual cartoons are outstanding, including a cartoon with Daffy Duck complaining to the artist that the backgrounds aren't good enough. This breaking of the fourth wall was ahead of its time.

Is it worth watching again? My answer is a resounding Yes! It's no longer available on disc, but I'm hoping it will remain on Netflix for a long time to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.