Sunday 10 July 2011

The Man Who Knew Too Much (4 Stars)

This review is of the film made in 1956 by Alfred Hitchcock. It's rather unusual, because it's a remake of a film made in 1934 by Hitchcock himself. Why did he feel it necessary to remake his own film, which had been a success when it was made? Obviously he felt that he could improve it. I haven't seen the original, but for me this version sums up everything that made Hitchcock the master of suspense.

An American couple are on vacation in Morocco. They meet and make friends with a Frenchman on a bus. A few days later they witness this man being murdered in a marketplace, and with his dying breath he whispers that an important statesman will be murdered in London. The couple are unsure whether to treat this seriously, until their son is kidnapped and they are told they will only get him back if they don't interfere.

Hitchcock may be better known for "Psycho", but as someone who has watched many of his films I recommend this as being more typical of the films he made in his later years.

On a different subject: I've decided that from now on the pictures I use in my posts will link to Amazon UK, not Amazon in the USA. This is because according to my statistics I have more readers in the UK than in America or Canada. I might change this in the future, but this is what I'll be doing for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.