Tuesday 12 February 2013

Silent Movie (4½ Stars)


With the exception of "Young Frankenstein", which I've watched a few times, I haven't watched any of Mel Brooks' films for at least 10 years. I don't know why. After rewatching "Blazing Saddles" yesterday and "Silent Movie" today I'm reminding myself just how good they are. His films are funny and intelligent at the same time.

This film has a circular plot. Mel Brooks has made a silent film about himself making a silent movie. That's it. The humour isn't in the overall plot, it's in the individual situations. This is silent film slapstick at its best. The highlight of the film, in my opinion, is Marty Feldman. Though he's best known for his television appearances, this film is what I'll always remember him for. Tragically, he died at the young age of 48. What a waste!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.