Monday 25 February 2013

General: Michelle Obama at the Oscars


Like many film fans I sat and watched the 85th Academy Awards yesterday. I put up with Seth MacFarlane's bad jokes and the awful music because I wanted to find out what the judges of the world's largest film academy consider to have been the year's best films. "Argo" was voted the best film, while "The Life of Pi" was the film that won the most awards.

But as always, the big story isn't necessarily about the films themselves, it's about visitors who make a spectacle of themselves or behave tastelessly. We all remember Angelina Jolie showing her right leg at last year's ceremony. This year Angelina was trumped by Michelle Obama's appearance in the most tasteless spectacle ever staged by the Academy Awards. Surrounded by men and women in military awards she announced the best film award to "Argo", a film about an American operation in Iran. The Iranian president has already protested against her appearance, and this is an international incident that will not be forgotten soon.

To be fair, it's doubtful that the Academy's organisers orchestrated this award. I am sure that the initiator was President Obama, who wanted to send a veiled threat to Iran. Now please don't get me wrong. I consider President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to be the world's most dangerous despot and a threat to world peace. I strongly believe that there should be military action against Iran to remove him from power. What I don't agree with is that the Academy Awards should be used as an opportunity to announce Obama's plans.

3 comments:

  1. Will be interesting to see if your prediction comes true. I never connected the two items whatsoever, I merely thought Mrs. Obama was a great choice for giving out this award. Conspiracy theories involving the Oscars are something I've never even considered, but will from now on.

    Signed Sincerely,
    The 2nd Shooter on the Grassy Knoll

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I see it, there are two possible explanations for Michelle Obama's appearance at the Academy Awards:

    Either (1) her husband wanted to make a political statement.

    Or (2) Michelle is an utter idiot who didn't realise how her appearance would be construed internationally.

    I prefer to believe the first possibility, since I credit her with some intelligence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. There's a news article on the subject in the National Post.

    ReplyDelete

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.