Monday 21 March 2022

The Batman (4 Stars)


Today's the spring equinox, one of the year's four high days. It's even more special for me as someone who was born on an equinox. The other one.

Today I celebrated the equinox by going to the cinema to see the new Batman film. I have a love-hate relationship with Batman and DC comics in general. I've always considered DC second best in comparison with Marvel. For me DC will always be the other comics company.

That doesn't mean that I don't have some appreciation for Batman. I sporadically read his comics in his camp era (1960 to 1975). I greatly enjoyed the stories written by Steve Englehart in the late 1970's which returned him to the dark style of the early comics. I've watched Batman's ups and downs on the big screen, although I don't think there's ever been a Batman film as good as the 1966 version.

Now there's yet another Batman reboot. It doesn't start with the murder of Bruce Wayne's parents, but their deaths are frequently mentioned. It's two years since Bruce Wayne became Batman. We aren't told who his first enemies were. It's possible they were only normal crooks. Now he has to face his first costumed super-villain, though it's something of a stretch to call it a costume. The Riddler is wearing something that looks like a boiler suit.

There have been some very good incarnations of the Riddler in the past.


Frank Gorshin, who appeared in the Batman TV Series from 1966 to 1967, is considered by most Batman fans to be the best version of the Riddler. Newer actors are judged by how closely they resemble him.


Jim Carrey played the Riddler in "Batman Forever" in 1995. He's obviously mimicking Frank Gorshin, but he doesn't quite succeed. Why be the second best Frank Gorshin when you can be the best Jim Carrey?


Cory Michael Smith plays a laid back but surprisingly convincing Riddler in the "Gotham" TV series from 2014 to 2019. I would have picked him to play the Riddler in the new film.


But no, Paul Dano was picked, wearing a very different costume. It's nowhere near as gaudy as the costumes of his predecessors, and why does he wear a mask? Obviously the director Matt Reeves wanted to do something different, but it was unnecessary. In the film the Riddler has a certain sense of nobility, which is missing both from the comics and the previous screen versions. He's a vigilante, killing corrupt city officials. He even sees Batman as a partner, not an enemy.


I have mixed feelings about Zoe Kravitz as Catwoman. The character has been portrayed so badly in films since the 1980's that anything would be an improvement. Her looks don't completely match the character, but her personality aptly matches Selina Kyle in the 1990 comics. She's miles better than Michelle Pfeiffer, Halle Berry and Anne Hathaway. I'm still waiting for the perfect  portrayal of Catwoman on screen.


As for Robert Pattinson in the title role, I can sum him up in one sentence: He's a great Batman but a bad Bruce Wayne. He's the best dark Batman there's ever been. He's aloof and truly frightening. He earns the title Dark Knight more than Christian Bale ever did. He deserves to play the role for years to come. I've read that this is the start of a new Batman trilogy, but three films aren't enough. And yet, he doesn't capture the essence of Bruce Wayne. I had a bad feeling the first time I saw him in a trailer, and the film reinforced my feelings. On the other hand, we see very little of Bruce Wayne in the film. Even when he's not wearing his costume, he's talking about Batman stuff with his butler.

Some people have complained that the film's too long. I find it just right. The action is thrilling, making it one of the most exciting films of the year. And almost everything takes place at night. This intensifies the atmosphere. I look forward to watching the film again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.