Saturday 11 November 2023

Lords of Chaos (5 Stars)


Today is the sixth time I've watched "Lords of Chaos". I'm sure I'll watch it more often. It's a film that practically demands repeated viewing in order to sample the nuances. Today I noticed two things for the first time:

There's a raven sitting on a cross outside a burning church. The raven is a symbol of Odin.

Throughout the film there is no mention of drugs. Is this accurate?


Something about "Lords of Chaos" fascinates me. The young men in the film are twisted, especially Mayhem's bass player, Varg. I can't agree with their crusade to burn churches. I respect the beliefs of other people too much. But the savage imagery of the film presents a life style that attracts me in a morbid way.

Before writing this review I made a lot of screenshots of the self-inflicted violence in the early scenes of the film. There's a lot of blood. I decided not to include them in this post. They might put readers off the film. The singer Pelle Ohlin, aka Dead, used to cut his wrists on stage and spray his blood on the fans in the audience. It's not a pretty sight.

Do I like Mayhem's music? When I wrote my last review 20 months ago I said that I enjoyed their first album. I listened to it again today, and I didn't like it. The music is too chaotic, without any recognisable structure. I'd probably enjoy it more in a live setting. But I'd stand at the back of the room to avoid the blood.

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.