Saturday 3 February 2024

Alienoid: Return to the Future (5 Stars)


This is the third film in the Stuttgart White Nights Festival.

Can Koreans make science fiction films? I had my doubts, but "Alienoid 2", as I prefer to call it, has won me over.

The first Alienoid film was shown at the Fantasy Film Festival in 2022, but I missed it because it was the last film of the day. I can't leave the cinema after midnight, because I'll miss the last bus. My friends all praised the film, but I gave it no further thought until today. As far as I can tell, it's a two-part story with the second film beginning where the first ended. There are frequent flashbacks to the first film.

It's a time travel film. Aliens from the future (2022) have been trapped in the late 14th century. The aliens have been trapped in human bodies and are unable to unleash their full power. There are sword fights between the heroes and the aliens, although there's the added problem that aliens are lying dormant in some of the heroes. In the year 2022 the aliens are attempting to destroy the Earth, and they can only be stopped by a mystic blade hidden in the 14th century.

I admit that the story is difficult to understand, since the film leaps between the two eras. Amusingly, travel between the two eras is only possible in a black car that drives fast through a portal. Where have I seen that before?

I need to see the first film as soon as possible. I've already ordered it from Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.