Saturday 30 March 2024

Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire (3 Stars)


This is a sequel to "Ghostbusters: Afterlife". I went to see it with my son Benjamin in the Lichtspielhaus in Schwäbisch Hall, one of Germany's oldest cinemas, dating back to 1913. The cinema was busy on Saturday evening, but most of the guests were there to see "Chantal im Märchenland". I was shocked to find that Benjamin and I were the only people watching the Ghostbusters film. That was a very poor showing for a blockbuster film on a Saturday evening. If this is typical, it means the film will be a flop.


This is the Lichtspielhaus. Like the Tardis, it's bigger on the inside. The room we sat in was spectacular. It was below ground, like a cave with rounded walls.

All I'll say about the film is that I was disappointed. I've been a fan of the Ghostbusters films from the beginning, but something is missing from "Frozen Empire". For the first hour hardly anything happens. It's just talking, talking, talking. The various characters explain one thing after another, while I was thinking to myself, "Will the action never start?" Yes, there was eventually action, the fighting with ghosts that we've grown to love, but by then I was already bored.

What happened? Don't they know how to make better films than this?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.