Friday 29 March 2024

Police Story (4½ Stars)


I've finally got round to watching "Police Story". It was made in 1985, so I'm almost 40 years late. I'd already read that Jackie Chan considers it to be his best film, so I was excited when I sat down to watch it. The stunts are incredible. Knowing that he always does his own stunts made each scene look more exciting. Would a modern American studio allow him to take such risks? Maybe, maybe not.

The story takes place in Hong Kong. Jackie plays a police sergeant called Ka Kui Chan (or Kevin Chan in the dubbed version). In the opening scene he's part of a team that's sent to take down a gang of drug dealers. Ka Kui himself arrests the leader, Chu Tao.

Chu Tao's secretary Salina offers to testify against her boss. Ka Kui is assigned to protect her, even though she insists that she doesn't need protection.

The action scenes are dazzling. I've only deducted half a star because there are comedy interludes that I find silly. Maybe I'm being unfair. I'll think it over next time I watch it. Yes, I'm sure to watch it again. If I ever get round to it. So many films, so little time. Maybe I should put that on my gravestone.

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.