Tuesday 1 May 2012

Fast Five [Guest Writer] (3 Stars)


Former cop Brian O'Conner (Paul Walker) partners with ex-con Dom Toretto (Vin Diesel) on the opposite side of the law. Since Brian and Mia Toretto broke Dom out of custody, they've blown across many borders to elude authorities. Now backed into a corner in Rio de Janeiro, they must pull one last job in order to gain their freedom. As they assemble their elite team of top racers, the unlikely allies know their only shot of getting out for good means confronting the corrupt businessman who wants them dead. But he's not the only one on their tail. Hard-nosed federal agent Luke Hobbs (Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson) never misses his target. When he is assigned to track down Dom and Brian, he and his strike team launch an all-out assault to capture them. But as his men tear through Brazil, Hobbs learns he can't separate the good guys from the bad. Now, he must rely on his instincts to corner his prey... before someone else runs them down first.

Okay, I have been a fan of the Fast and the Furious movies mainly because I love fast cars - call it being a mechanic's daughter it's in my blood. When the first movie came out, I was on pins and needles and fell in love although now if I were to watch it, my enthusiasm has waned a bit, not for the cars - just the movie. This, I'm assuming, was their attempt at bringing everyone from all of the Fast and the Furious movies to make it seem just that much bigger and - wait for it - they added the Rock. Doesn't it seem like he has his fingers in every pie out there? Get the fuck out of my pie dude! >:c I enjoyed the rock when he was a wrestler in all of his cheesy "smelly" glory and I fell in love with his goofy side when he got involved with comedies. I hated him in Doom - god can we say box office nightmare? I wouldn't say I "loved" him in this movie because he just seems so....cliched. I'm sorry but it all just felt rote to me - as if I had seen it a hundred times. I enjoyed the action sequences - I'm not going to lie. I loved seeing the pretty cars and it was a good movie to watch when I had some time on my hands to kill. Would I have paid to go see this movie in theaters knowing what I know now? More than likely not. Would I have rented the DVD as a New Release? Again, probably not. Would I have bought the DVD when it went on sale for, let's say, $10? Sure, why not? I guess that about says it all, doesn't it? But, like I said, it wasn't "bad" and I have definitely seen worse. I also will say that I'm a sucker for Vin Diesel as crazy as that makes me (Mmm those muscles make me salivate). He can hijack my car any day of the week as long as he kidnaps me and takes me along for the ride!  :3

Also given, Vin's last name he does make an obvious choice for a movie about car's don't you think? Haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.