Saturday 2 November 2013

Unleashed (4 Stars)


There are some actors that I like. There are some I don't. I like Samuel L. Jackson and Leelee Sobieski. I don't like Tom Cruise and Keanu Reeves. Usually it's easy for me to say who is a good actor and who isn't. Then there's Jet Li. He's a problem for me.

When it comes to fighting, Jet Li is fantastic. He's probably the most skilled martial arts fighter making films today. But what is he like when he stops fighting and starts talking? He's erratic. Sometimes he's very good, in films like "Meltdown". Sometimes he's very bad, in films like "Fist of Legend". I don't know what to make of him.

"Unleashed" is a strange film. The plot is so unusual. A gangster kills a woman who gets in the way when he's collecting a debt. He takes her small son and trains him like a dog. He lives in a cage. When he's collared he's docile. When he is uncollared, unleashed, he turns into a fighting animal, beating up and killing all those around him. The dog, Danny, is happy with his life until he meets a blind piano tuner, Sam, who treats him like a human being and gives him something he never had before: a family.

Now where do I start to criticise the film? It takes place in Glasgow, but everyone has English accents. Everyone. There's not one single Scottish accent in the film. How could they slip up like that? The whole brought-up-as-a-dog plot is difficult to accept. It stretches credibility too far. Then there's Jet Li's acting as Danny, which leaves much to be desired. This isn't one of his better films. The only reason I've rated the film so highly is because of the fight scenes. Jet Li's action scenes are a joy to behold, even though he doesn't use his usual fighting style in this film. Usually he's very elegant. In this film he makes short sharp blows, designed to cripple or kill his opponents. Nevertheless, he's thrilling to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.