Thursday 1 May 2014

Thor (4½ Stars)


This film should have been called "Loki". Tom Hiddleston steals the show as Thor's adopted brother. On that subject, I have to apologise for a mistake I made in a previous post. I said that Loki wasn't adopted in the comics, he was Thor's real brother. When I researched the subject I found out that Loki's origins as a frost giant were indeed described in the comics, but not until the 1990's. Until then he had seemed to be Odin's real son. Okay, since I don't usually consider anything after 1990 to be canon I shrugged it off. A late invention.

But then I found out something else today. The Norse myths are very clear that Loki was adopted. Ah ha. That's something I need to take seriously. The silver age Thor comics of the 1960's never state that Loki is adopted, but they never explicitly say that he's the birth son of Odin either. It was just an assumption that I made. Admittedly, it was a logical assumption, but I was wrong. If I'd been better acquainted with Norse mythology I would have known better.

Incidentally, I bought this film on Ebay for only £4.20 including postage... the Blu-ray version! That's only $7.10. I don't use Ebay very often, but I'm glad I checked the site last week.

2 comments:

  1. A decent marvel film, but not really as good as iron man or the first two raimi spiderman flicks. The casting is great though and it's more than good enough for adding to the avengers movie by exploring thor and loki's relationship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd put it on a par with the first "Iron Man" film, but in my eyes the best Marvel film ever was the first Spider-Man film. The Raimi one, of course. It did everything right. Well, almost everything. The web shooters are mechanical in the comics, not organic.

      Delete

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.