Thursday 28 May 2015

Poltergeist (2015 version) (3 Stars)


This is a competently made horror film. It ticks all the right boxes. A terrified family in a haunted house. Ghosts that threaten primarily the children. Experienced psychic investigators who find that they're in over their heads.

For me as a film fan I have to ask the question why it was made at all. It's a remake of a film with the same name made in 1982. I have nothing against remakes in general, but in this case the story is so identical to the original film that I have to ask why it was made again. The only noticeable differences come from the film being set in a newer day, so the television set is bigger than it was 33 years ago, and there are mobile phones. The advances in computer technology have made the special effects better, but to be honest, the original film didn't look so bad either. I don't feel that the new film offers anything new, anything that truly justifies a remake.

It's not a bad film. It's a good choice for watching on a night in with your partner, cuddled up on the sofa with the lights dimmed. But for me personally, I say that a film is a good film if I think I'll want to watch it at least three times. In this case I doubt there will be a second time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.