Saturday 21 October 2017

Off-Topic: Birmingham Holiday


Three days ago I returned from taking a holiday in Birmingham, the city where I lived from 2000 to 2016. It was my first visit after 15 months, so I was feeling sentimental. I'll share a few of my photos. They can all be enlarged by clicking on them. The photo above is the Hyatt Regency Hotel on Broad Street. This photo is definitely worth enlarging.


While I lived in Birmingham I used to make a visit to my father's grave every year on October 13th. I arranged my holiday so that I could be in England on this important date.


I don't know who placed this vase of artificial flowers on my father's grave. I suspect it's my cousin Tricia, whose parents are also buried in Streetly Cemetery.


One of the best things about Birmingham is the food. I used to be a regular visitor of Han Dynasty in Station Street to eat a hotpot. This is the pot.


This is the meat.


These are some of the extras.


No visit to Birmingham is complete without seeing my friend Rose Wright. I love her!


One of the tenants in Rose's house made me rice with black bean sauce. I'm not a vegetarian, but I don't need meat every day of the week. This was a very tasty meal.


I also visited the wonderful Maria Tuzzio. It's always a pleasure to see her.


To end on a serious note, this is the memorial to the victims of Birmingham's worst ever terrorist attack. Michael Hayes has admitted being one of the people responsible for the bombs, but he has never been arrested. In Ireland he's regarded as a hero.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.