Tuesday 31 October 2017

American Werewolf in Paris (5 Stars)


I often argue with film critics about their evaluation of a film. That's normal. I know more than the so-called experts who sit in their offices getting paid to write about films that they watch for free. Don't tell me I only say that because I'm jealous. It's true, I am jealous of people in that position, but I'd still think they were wrong in their judgements if I were one of them. I'd be a rebel. That's probably why nobody has ever rung me up and offered me a job.

What makes me uncomfortable is when I argue with my fellow film fans about the quality of a film. I don't mean when there are differing opinions about a film and I take one side against the other. What I mean is when I praise a film and nobody agrees with me. This is such a film. Ever since I first saw it in the cinema I've loved it and spoken positively of it, but I haven't found a single person who agrees with me. Not one. On the other hand, nobody that I've spoken to has been able to give me constructive arguments to explain why they think it's bad. All that my friends say to me is either "It's rubbish" or "I watched it years ago and didn't like it".

Some reviewers call it a sequel to "American Werewolf in London", but that's not correct. It shares none of the original film's characters, although it copies a lot of the visual images. I consider it to be a parody, not a sequel. "American Werewolf in London" was a parody itself, so "American Werewolf in Paris" is a parody of a parody. Is that the problem? Is that why my fellow film fans don't get it?

"American Werewolf in London" is considered to be a cult film (whatever that means), which could also be a problem. My friends went to the cinema thinking it's somehow blasphemy to make a sequel or new version of a film they love so much, so they didn't give it a chance.

Let me state briefly what I like so much about "American Werewolf in Paris". If I get any constructive criticism I'll go into it in detail the next time I watch it.

I like the exaggerated gothic element of the opening scene.

Julie Delpy's acting is superb.

The contrast of the superficial American teenagers to the serious French community is amusing.

I love the blasphemous elements of the scene in the church. This is also aptly gothic in character.


Do you like "American Werewolf in Paris"? If so, please leave me a comment so that I know I'm not the only one. If not, please leave a comment and explain your reasons.

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.