Sunday 1 April 2018

The Shape of Water (5 Stars)


This is my favourite film of 2018 (so far), and it's also the first film that I've been to see in the cinema twice. That's something I do very rarely. In this case it's worth it. I picked up details that I missed the first time round. After the first viewing I assumed the film takes place in the late 1950's. This time I could pinpoint the year as 1963, based on a conversation saying that it was 13 years since the Battle of Pusan (1950). I also saw the gills in the final scene that I'd missed in my first viewing. That's something I really should have noticed. My excuse is that it was the fourth film I saw on January 21st, so I may have been tired and less attentive.

This is a love story. I always like love stories. It's a science fiction story, and I like most science fiction films. It's also a fairy tale. I don't often like fairy tales, but "The Shape of Water" is perfect. It was a good choice to win the Academy Award for Best Film of 2017. It might not have been my first choice, but it was a good choice.

It's April 1st today. Maybe I should be making joke posts today? Maybe I should be reviewing non-existent films or highly praising films that are rubbish. No, I don't think that's my style. But never say never.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.