Monday 3 September 2018

The Spy who dumped me (5 Stars)


In Germany this film is called "Bad Spies". I fail to understand why one English language title has been picked to substitute another. Apart from that, it's not appropriate to the film, because the two girls are very good spies. They're naturals! The only advantage of the alternate title is that it's shorter, which would make it easier to use in my blog. Hmmm... I have to admit that's tempting.

I saw the film's trailer in the cinema a few weeks ago. It was good enough to persuade me to watch the film. But today, in the cinema, I was blown away. I knew it would be a good film, but it exceeded my expectations. The action was fast and hard from the beginning. The comedy started a few minutes later. Both ran side by side at a breathtaking pace. It wasn't until the middle of the film that the action slowed down. The audience was given a few minutes breather. Then it started again. Wonderful!

"The spy who dumped me" is about Audrey, a 30-year-old woman in Los Angeles, who has just been dumped by her boyfriend. Worse still, she's been dumped in a text message. That's a remarkable feat of cowardice. No girl wants to be dumped like that. What Audrey doesn't know is that her boyfriend Drew is a CIA agent who sent the text from Lithuania, where he's fighting for his life.

A few days later Drew returns and tells Audrey that he only broke up with her to keep her out of danger. Obviously he's no longer serious about keeping her out of danger because he now asks her to deliver a valuable trophy to a cafe in Vienna. Drew dies in a shootout in front of her eyes, but she's determined to fulfil his last wish. She jumps on a plane to Austria with her best friend Morgan.


I don't know who appeals to me most: Morgan (Kate McKinnon), on the left, or Audrey (Mila Kunis), on the right. They're both very good actresses, but Kate McKinnon makes me laugh more. The chemistry between them is nothing less than perfect.

"The spy who dumped me" is one of the best films of the year, so far. It qualifies as a surprise summer hit. Check it out while it's still in the cinemas. It's worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.