Sunday 28 October 2018

Brawl in Cell Block 99 (4½ Stars)


I don't know why Vince Vaughn wastes his time with comedy roles. This is the sort of film that he was born to make. He's quiet, aloof and brooding, and yet his warm heart shows through the cracks in his armour when we least expect it.

The title is misleading. The brawl itself doesn't take place until 90 minutes into the film, and it only lasts ten minutes. That's not a problem. The film is breath-takingly intense from the first minutes.

I don't want to say much about the film's plot. To find out more click here to read my first review. All I'll add today is that I really despised the staff at Redleaf Prison, which contains Cell Block 99. The warden himself is the worst, but they're all despicable characters. It's as if the daily work with hardened criminals has made the evil rub off on them.

"Brawl in Cell Block 99" is harsh and brutal, but Vince Vaughn is so convincing that we can't help taking his side and hoping for him to win against the overwhelming odds.

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.