Tuesday 9 October 2018

A Star Is Born (4 Stars)


A funny thing happened to me on the way to the cinema.....

While I was waiting at the bus stop to go to the cinema I saw a man, a casual acquaintance that I've known for over 30 years. We usually exchange a few words whenever we see one another. He asked me where I was going. I said to the cinema. Rather than ask the question I expected, "What film are you going to see?", he told me that the cinema isn't what it used to be. He said that the cinema used to be for people of all ages, but now it's only for young people.

That's a curious statement, and it's one I've heard before. When I was at university, 40 years ago, my Psychology professor, Dr. John Bradshaw, said exactly the same words. "The cinema used to be for people of all ages, but now it's only for young people". My professor was in his 60's, probably the same age as the man I spoke to today. It's obviously a false statement, but why do people think it's the case?

I think it's a question of attitude. When you're 20-ish you go to the cinema and you see a mixture of people: some are your own age, some are older. You have the feeling that the film is attracting people of all ages. Then as you get older, 40-ish, you go to the cinema and see that there are a lot of people younger than you, much more than there were 20 years ago, so you think that the film is attracting younger people. When you're 60 you look around the seats in the cinema and almost everyone is younger than you, so you think that only young people are going to the cinema.

The cinema is the same as it's always been. You're the one who's changed.


But let's get to talking about the film itself. It's the third remake of a film made in 1937. There must be something special about the story that still fascinates people after 80 years. It's a story for young and old. It's a love story, and love is an important matter to people of all ages. It's also a story of success in the cruel world of the music business. Who doesn't want to be famous? When you're young you dream of becoming successful, and when you're older you regret your missed chances.

Jackson Maine (Bradley Cooper) is a successful musician who plays sold-out concerts all over America. The previous versions of the film showed him playing country music, but in this film he's more of a rock musician. When he's off stage he's a wreck. Only alcohol keeps him going. After a concert his chauffeur takes him to the first bar he sees, which is a drag bar. On stage there's a talented singer called Ally (Lady Gaga) in whom he recognises considerable talent. His praise gives her the self-confidence that she's lacking, and she sings with him on stage at his next concert. Within a short time a romance develops. Ally also becomes a successful singer-songwriter in her own right.

The two love each other throughout the film. Their devotion to one another never falters. The problems come through Jackson's alcohol addiction. When he makes an effort he stops drinking, but it never lasts, and he ends up drinking even more than before.

Lady Gaga is stunning as the young woman who's swept up by stardom. It's as if the role was written for her. I was pleasantly surprised by Bradley Cooper's talent as a singer. He's much better in the role than I expected him to be. The chemistry between the two is sizzling. There's never any doubt that they love each other deeply.

This is a beautiful film. It's not always an attractive film. It's heart wrenching to see Jackson's steady deterioration. Sometimes I laughed when he fell over or did something stupid, then I felt ashamed of myself moments later. It's not a pretty sight.

I can vaguely remember seeing an older version of the film, but I'm not sure whether it was the 1954 or the 1976 version. As I remember, it was more of a musical and had songs throughout. I'm interested in watching the 1937 version, if I can get my hands on it. Watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.