Sunday 11 November 2018

The Thing [2011] (3 Stars)


Today is the first time I've watched this film. I thought it was a remake of the 1982 film with the same name directed by John Carpenter, but I was wrong. It's a prequel, although I didn't realise it until the final scenes.

A Norwegian scientific team discovers an alien spacecraft buried beneath the ice of the Antarctic. Nearby they find a creature frozen in the ice, presumably trapped when it was attempting to reach the surface. The ice is melted to examine the creature's body, but it isn't dead. It attacks and kills several of the scientists. Worse than that, it's able to create identical copies of anybody it kills, so it can pretend to be one of the scientists. And not just one. It rapidly multiplies, seemingly by dividing itself, so there are several creatures running around the base.

I enjoyed the original film. It has the same excitement and suspense as all of John Carpenter's films. This prequel doesn't live up to it. It relies on gore rather than suspense. The film failed at the box office, it failed with the critics and it's failed with me.

Success Rate:  - 1.2

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.