Friday 2 November 2018

The Wicker Man [2006 version] (4½ Stars)

Once meek, and in a perilous path,
The just man kept his course along
The vale of death.
Roses are planted where thorns grow,
And on the barren heath
Sing the honey bees.

Then the perilous path was planted,
And a river and a spring
On every cliff and tomb,
And on the bleachèd bones
Red clay brought forth;

Till the villain left the paths of ease,
To walk in perilous paths, and drive
The just man into barren climes.

Now the sneaking serpent walks
In mild humility,
And the just man rages in the wilds
Where lions roam.


As promised, I've watched both versions of the Wicker Man back to back. I can't say which of the two is a more accurate adaptation of the novel on which they're based, "Ritual" by David Pinner, so I'll have to judge them by the merits of the films themselves.

Edward Malus (Nicolas Cage) is a traffic policeman in southern California. He lives halfway between San Francisco and Los Angeles, judging by the maps on the wall of his police station. He receives a letter from his ex-fiancée Willow telling him she needs his help because her daughter Rowan has gone missing. She lives on a private island called Summersisle in Washington's Puget Sound. When he arrives he finds out that the missing girl is also his own daughter. He runs around the island flashing his Highway Patrol badge pretending he's there on official police business, but nobody believes him.

First the islanders deny that they know Rowan. When he finds proof of her existence they say she's dead, but he can't find a body. Convinced that she's still alive he continues the search, hampered by the uncooperative islanders.


Both films were box office failures, but the 1973 version was the bigger failure. (The 1973 version has a success rate of -11.1, whereas the 2006 version has a success rate of only -1.0). The 1973 version is rated higher by critics. A lot of film fans that I've talked to call the 2006 version awful, but I don't think that it's bad at all. They only think it's bad because they're comparing it with the 1973 version. So what qualities does each film have?

The 1973 version contains a fascinating element of religious conflict. Sgt. Howie is a deeply religious man, whereas Edward Malus has no interest in Christianity. The 1973 version has more colour to it, i.e. more fanciful costumes at the Mayday celebrations. It's also a lot more sexual, with frequent nude scenes.

The 2006 version has more of a human edge to it, making us sympathise with the policeman. Sgt. Howie was just doing his job, whereas Edward Malus has personal reasons for his investigations. The biggest difference is that the 2006 version shows Summersisle as a matriarchal community. It's a women's community, and men are only allowed to live in order to do menial labour and breed. Men receive no school education, and they're not even able to talk.


In the 1973 film the island was ruled by Christopher Lee as Lord Summerisle, but here we have Ellen Burstyn as Sister Summersisle. It's hard to believe she was 74 when she appeared in the film. She looks a lot younger.

I'm biased, I admit. I find the concept of a society ruled by women fascinating. It would be unpleasant if I weren't allowed to put my intellect to use. I don't just want to be able to speak, I want to be able to write my blog. On the other hand, being used for breeding purposes is a fate I could deal with.

The 2006 film has an element of comedy bubbling below the surface. Edward Malus is nowhere near as important as he wants everyone to think. He's a fool, and he doesn't realise it.

I can appreciate both films. I said in the past that I preferred the 1973 version, but after watching them back to back I've changed my mind. I like them both equally, and I've given them the same rating.

Success Rate:  - 1.0

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.