Tuesday 20 August 2019

The Shape of Water (5 Stars)


I don't think that my favourite film has ever won the Best Film award at the Oscars. I just looked at the list of past winners, and maybe "Slumdog Millionaire" is an exception. I'm not sure without checking what other films were released that year.

Most years I'm really annoyed when the Best Film award is announced. I feel like throwing a shoe at my television set. "How could a film like that have won? What were the judges thinking?" I could name many, many examples, but I'll just pick out "Argo". It's not a bad film, it's quite a good film, but it was nowhere near best film of the year. Other nominations were "Django Unchained" and "The Life of Pi", both of which would have been worthy winners.

The last two years were different. "The Shape of Water" and "Green Book" might not have been my favourite films of the year, but they're both very good films which deserved to win. They might not be as good as "Tragedy Girls" and "Deadpool 2", but they're both excellent films. (Which reminds me... when will Brianna Hildebrand get her first Oscar?)


"The Shape of Water" is like "Beauty and the Beast", except there's no Beauty. Elisa is a plain looking woman, not beautiful, not ugly, just average. She's the sort of woman that you wouldn't give a second look if she passed you in the street. Her real beauty is inside. She's a loving, caring person. She has problems in her own life, such as being mute, but she still puts others first. Isn't that better than being a beauty queen?


It's said that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. When the Beast looks at Elisa he sees the Beauty. She's perfect in his eyes.

Most of the film takes place at night. It's a dark film, both visually and atmospherically. The film takes place at night out of necessity. Elisa is a cleaning lady who goes to work with her mop and bucket when everyone else goes home to bed.

The film is a fairy tale. It's a beautiful fairy tale with a happy ending. There are problems in the film, there are even tragedies, but the viewer knows from the beginning that they'll live happily ever after.

Success Rate:  + 7.8

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.