Thursday 20 August 2020

Wine: Alde Gott Riesling Trocken


After sampling the Alde Gott Spätburgunder yesterday, I decided to buy another of their wines today. The only other wine available is a Riesling Trocken (dry riesling). Despite being called dry, I find the taste very mild and fruity, almost sweet. I dread to think how sweet the regular version of this wine would taste.

There are two ways to drink wine. One way is to drink it by ttself, savouring every nuance. The other way is together with a meal, in which case the wine is meant to offset the tastes of meat or fish.This is definitely a wine to be drunk with a meal. It doesn't have the strength or the flavour to be enjoyed by itself.

Interestingly, this wine is sold exclusively in miniature 0.25 liter bottles, like the one pictured. This tells me that the vineyard itself doesn't take the product seriously. The normal Riesling is sold in large bottles, and so is Alde Gott's Riesling Kabinett, which they claim has been awarded several prizes. This makes me curious about the Riesling Kabinett, but it's not available in my hotel. That's sad.

If I had any prejudices against Baden's wines in the past, they've been reinforced by drinking this Riesling Trocken today. It's nothing special.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.