Saturday 15 August 2020

Wine: Besigheimer Felsengarten Lemberger Kabinett

Today's a very hot day in Germany. It's not the hottest day this summer, but somehow the air is very muggy and oppressive, so I needed a good drink to help me relax before bed. I chose this wine, a Lemberger Kabinett wine from the Besigheimer Felsengarten. For me it was an experiment. Kabinett wines are generally considered superior to other wines, but I haven't drunk many in the past for three reasons:

1. They're more expensive.

2. They have a lower alcoholic content.

3. They're sweeter.

I'm not broke, I can afford to pay a few Euros more for a bottle of wine. In this case the alcoholic content is only slightly lower, 10% instead of the usual 12% to 13%. Out of several different varieties on offer, I picked the Lemberger, because it's the driest red grape commonly grown in Württemberg.

I'm impressed. The taste is heavy and pleasantly sweet, though not as sweet as the Besigheimer Felsengarten Samtrot Spätlese that I've been drinking recently. To me, as an amateur wine drinker, it doesn't even taste like a Lemberger.

But what do the experts say?

Garnet red, light and juicy with an aroma of blackberries, pleasant fruity sweetness balanced with acidity that melts on your tongue.

That's a fancy description. I'd just say that it tastes good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.