Saturday 1 August 2020

IT Chapter Two [2019] (5 Stars)


You wouldn't believe all the trouble I went through to watch this film. After my Blu-ray player broke down yesterday, I had to go to Stuttgart to buy a new one. Actually, I just bought an external Blu-ray drive for my computer. I'll buy a real Blu-ray player later this year when I have more time to choose. Today I was in a hurry and needed a replacement fast. I don't like going to Stuttgart on a Saturday. It's always so busy in the shops, and not even the Coronavirus makes it any different. In addition, today was a hot day, 34 C, even hotter than yesterday, so I was dripping with sweat by the time I got back home.


One of the priorities for the casting of the second chapter is that the adults should look similar to the children who appeared in the first chapter. James McAvoy was an excellent choice to play the adult Bill Denbrough. He's evidently the character that Stephen King most identified with when he wrote the book. Bill has become an author, and Stephen King likes to have an author in most of his novels.


Most of the adults were cast after the first film had been made, but Jessica Chastain is an exception. Andy and Barbara Muschietti already envisaged her as the adult Beverly Marsh from the beginning. The portrayal of her new life, 27 years later, is unfortunately realistic. She grew up with an abusive father, so she's married an abusive man..


Richie Tozier was a fast talker as a child, so now he's become a stand up comedian.


Eddie Kaspbrak grew up with a smothering, over-protective mother. Now he has a smothering, over-protective wife. It's not just a cliché to say that he's married his mother; the same actress plays his mother and his wife in the films.


Stanley Uris is the weakest of the Losers. Or is he the strongest? That depends on how you look at him.


Jay Ryan is the only actor who doesn't look like his child self. That's deliberate. He used to be overweight, but now he's spent years getting into shape.


Of the seven Losers, Mike Hanlon is the only one who's stayed in Derry. He's become the town's librarian, so that he has better access to the books about Derry's history. Like a true fanatic, he lives in the cellar below the library.


Losers, one and all.

I understood some things better than when I watched the film in the cinema last year. Today I understood the context of the scenes in the second film that take place between the two visits to the Neibolt House in the first film. The explanatory dialogue went past too fast the first time I watched it. Good films should always be watched more than once.


I have a small question. Is it possible to kiss underwater? I mean a real, passionate kiss, like the one shared by Ben and Beverly. It's not something I've ever attempted, and I don't understand the mechanics.

Success Rate:  + 4.0

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.