Saturday 22 August 2020

Wine: Alde Gott Spätburgunder Weißherbst

Just when I thought I'd sampled the whole wine selection in my hotel, I came across a bottle of Spätburgunder Weißherbst, also from the small Alde Gott vineyard. I hurried back to my room to sample it, and the initial impression was a shock. It was nowhere near as sweet as typical Weißherbst wines, and it didn't even taste as sweet as the standard Spätburgunder that I drank a few days ago.

Then I realised that the last thing I'd eaten was ice cream, so I did what any serious wine drinker would do: I drank half a glass of water to wash the taste of the ice cream out of my mouth. Then I went back to the wine.

On the second attempt I could recognise the sweetness, but it's still not as sweet as the Eberbach-Schäfer Spätburgunder Weißherbst. I think the sweetness is hidden by an above average acidity. It's a pleasant wine, but it doesn't have a strong flavour. It's probably harvested from the same grapes as Alde Gott's Spätburgunder, but it's not of the same quality. There's nothing memorable about the wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.