Saturday 23 April 2022

Hospital Day 9


This is the official logo of the Robert-Bosch-Krankenhaus. You might have spotted it on the outside wall of the hospital in my Day 7 post. What were they thinking? It's awful! A good logo should do two things. It should be stylish, and it should also be immediately apparent what it stands for. The RBK logo fails in the second respect. The letter R is recognisable, but you have to look at the second letter a few times before you can figure out it's a B. The third letter doesn't look like a K, however much you twist and turn it in your head. You can figure out what it is, as the result of a logical puzzle, bit it still looks far from a K. Next time they design a new logo they should ask me for advice.

When the morning shift nurses burst into the room at 6:30 am, their first question is always "Are you feeling better?" That's not an easy question for me to answer. I have to rattle through my symptoms and tell them which ones have improved and which ones haven't. That's what I'll do for my readers now.

Last night I slept better than usual. I slept a solid two hours from 4 am to 6 am, which left me feeling relatively fresh in the morning. There was no fever, which is my biggest improvement. On the other hand, I was coughing badly after waking up. That's probably what woke me. And I had a bad headache. It's a throbbing pain at the sides of my temples, but there were sporadic pains that felt like I was being jabbed with a pin. I'm also starting to get ear ache in my right ear. That's new.

There's still no news about my possible discharge, but there's one question I've been scared to ask my doctor: When I go home, will I be well, or will there be a lengthy recuperation period? If I hadn't retired, I could rephrase the question as "Can I go straight back to work?" I want to go back to my normal life when I'm back home. I don't want to be lying in bed resting for most of the day.

Another thing I'm worried about is my eyesight. My eyes feel slightly less sore, but I notice when I sit at the computer that my vision is blurred. That never used to be the case. For the last 10 years I've worn glasses for reading, but I only ever needed them for small writing. My computer screen has always been legible. I'd be depressed if this stupid illness has a lasting effect on my vision.

That's all for today. Let's hope I have some good news for you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.