Tuesday 3 October 2023

When Harry met Sally (4 Stars)


Today is the first time I've watched "When Harry Met Sally". It was made in 1989, and I've been aware of it for years, mostly because of the highly publicised restaurant scene – you know what I mean – but I never felt inclined to watch it. Today it was included in the "Best of Cinema" series, so I had to go. I go to all the "Best of Cinema" films if I can, whatever they are.

"When Harry Met Sally" is a comedy that loosely follows the rules of romantic comedies. Maybe it's less predictable than typical rom-coms. It follows the on-off relationship between Harry Burns and Sally Albright in episodes over a period of 12 years and 3 months.

In 1977 Harry and Sally both graduate from the University of Chicago. They don't know one other, they're just sharing a car to New York. Sally suggests they should become friends (just friends), but Harry says it isn't possible. He says a man can't be friends with a beautiful woman, because sexual tension always gets in the way. This annoys Sally, and they go their separate ways in New York.

In 1982 they meet again by chance. They're both in relationships, and Harry suggests they become friends. Sally reminds Harry of what he said five years ago, and they go separate ways again.

In 1987 they meet again. Both of their relationships have broken up. They agree to become friends, and they see one another on a regular basis. Their friendship is awkward, and it's more like a duel than a friendship. One of them attempts to get closer, the other pulls away, and then the roles reverse.


The film is best when it's being funny. In the later scenes it becomes serious, and I was annoyed with the two main characters. It was so obvious that they wanted to be together that I felt like knocking their heads together and telling them to stop being stupid. Best of cinema? Not quite.

Getting back to Harry's claim about it being impossible for men and women to be friends, I'd say that it's difficult but not impossible. I enjoy the company of women, and I especially like to have friends who are lesbians. I feel comfortable with women who have no desire for me. I know where I am, and I feel comfortable knowing that they will never want to take it to the next level. I've often mentioned this, and my male friends find it strange. I can't say whether my feelings are right or wrong, but it's the way I am.

Success Rate:  + 3.8

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.