Wednesday 4 October 2023

Smallville 3.04 - Slumber



Yikes! I'm dropping further and further behind with my Smallville reviews! It started with my holiday, then my new computer, then the film festival. I'm running out of excuses. At the latest count I'm eight weeks behind.

Note that I said Smallville, not Talkville reviews. My original intention was to review the podcasts, but over time I've found that there isn't much in the podcasts that I need to write about. For this episode especially I have nothing to say about the podcast, except that I'm glad Tom Welling is back. It isn't the same without him.


The freak-of-the-week is Sarah Conroy, played by Katharine Isabelle. Six years ago she was involved in a car accident with her parents near Crater Lake. Her parents were killed, while Sarah was in a coma and put in the care of her Uncle Nicholas. She slowly recovered and was able to wake up from her coma, but her uncle kept her drugged to keep her asleep, so that he can use the wealth she's inherited from her parents. During this time she's been lucid dreaming, trying to escape from her uncle, who she calls the Traveller. The episode starts with Nicholas and Saran moving into the house where Lana used to live.

The meteor rocks in the lake have given her other powers. She's able to share her dreams. It's unclear whether she can share with everyone or only with Clark. She calls out to him to help her escape. Clark falls into a deep sleep that lasts 36 hours. In most of the dream Clark is with his friends, seeing his life as he wants it to be. 


For instance, Clark dreams that he's skinny-dipping at Crater Lake with Lana Lang. This is something he can never do, because the meteor rocks in the lake would weaken him and probably make him drown. But it's a pleasant dream. He and Lana almost kiss in the water, which would have led to more if Sarah hadn't inserted herself in the dream. She calls Clark for help, but Clark is unable to save her.

No, we don't see Lana naked, not even from behind. But at least female fans can see Clark Kent's naked chest.

Sarah approaches Clark in his dream several times, but he's unable to help her. What she doesn't understand in her dreams is that she can only receive help in the real world.

When he finally wakes up, Clark visits the Conroy family and finds Sarah sleeping. He's surprised to see that Sarah is the girl from his dream, which tells him that something unusual is happening. He uses his X-Ray vision to find the medication that's being used to keep her sedated. Nicholas tries to kill Lana, but Clark stops him and Sarah wakes up. Clark visits her in hospital, and she tells him that during their shared dream time she's seen that Lana is the girl he wants and he should stop pushing her away. But as we know, Clark never listens to anybody.

The story is left with a loose end. Nicholas goes to prison, but what happens to Sarah? Is she old enough to remain in the house by herself? We never see her again.


Clark Kent isn't the only person to bare his chest in this episode. We also see Lionel Luthor having a massage in his corporate office. It's good being a millionaire businessman. The actor John Glover was 59 at the time. He's kept himself in good shape.


We might not see Lana's naked chest, but she has a beautiful face.


So does Chloe Sullivan. I'd go skinny-dipping with both of them.


In a subplot, Lex Luthor complains to his father that his security clearance doesn't allow him access to all the documents at Luthorcorp. Lionel says it's because he hasn't agreed to have a full psychological evaluation after his trauma on the desert island. Lex eventually agrees to the examination to prove to his father that he's fully capable of being his heir in the company.


Okay, here's just one screenshot from the podcast. Michael Rosenbaum says that swearing helps. Really? I don't think so. It just annoys other people.

Always hold on to Smallville.

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

5 comments:

  1. Glad to see these back on track, even if minimal attention is given to the podcasts. (But i do hope that future podcast episodes have choice bits that you feel should be included here)
    While i enjoyed the Film Fest reports, and made some notes on titles to watch for, i was missing the Smallvilles. But, no need to try to hurry and catch up - i marathoned and lept ahead. I'm well into season 5 now. However, still enjoying your contemplations as you view through the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you watch the podcasts? I haven't been deliberately ignoring them. It depends on what's said. Sometimes interesting details are given about the background to an episode. Those are the choice bits that I write about. Other times it's just a description of the episode itself. Michael Rosenbaum calls it a blow-by-blow. You've probably noticed that my reviews aren't in the order of the action. I write about the main story first, and then I write about the subplots afterwards, although they were interspersed with the main story.

      And then I post screenshots of the beautiful girls, Lana and Chloe. Sometimes more, sometimes less. I made about a dozen screenshots of Lana in "Slumber", and I only decided at the last moment not to include them all.

      Delete
    2. Um, no. Haven't been watching.
      You may recall that "Crazy Hermit" thing, yes? I haven't been to youtube since they started greeting me by name when i arrived. (AKA - since google bought it and linked my gmail account to it)
      That kind of thing creeps me out - a reminder of us being watched every chance they get. I give them less to watch.

      Don't worry on my account about falling behind. Even if you were caught up to the day of the podcasts, you'd still be way behind. I just watched Election Night when Jonathan Kent was running for Senator. That's a fair bit ahead of them. So i'll just enjoy your comments as they come along, and the series will still be tolerably fresh in my mind for them.

      (And, don't fret - I've got my own screen caps.)
      ;)

      Delete
    3. It's not because of you that I worry about falling behind. It's just something I shouldn't do. I was in a comfortable routine of watching each episode on Wednesday/Thursday when the podcast was released. Occasionally I was a few days late, or even a week late, but never this much.

      Delete
  2. By the way, I was in danger of falling even more behind. Last month my doctor told me I needed an operation on my shoulder in the middle of October. My right shoulder, and I would need to keep my arm in a sling for at least six weeks. I had an MRT scan on Friday, and he told me that the operation isn't necessary. Phew! Six weeks without being able to write would be torture.

    ReplyDelete

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.