Monday 16 October 2023

Mandy (5 Stars)


When I watched "Mandy" last month I mentioned that a friend of mine had told me it's a film that only looks good on an OLED television. I tried desperately to find a friend with an OLED television for me to check it out, but none of my friends who live locally have such a television. The Amazon Prime Day Deals were coming up, so I waited for a special offer, and I found one.


This is the television I chose, an LG OLED48A29LA, reduced from 1549 Euros to 717 Euros. That's a price reduction to be taken seriously. As I've said in the past, I only buy LG television sets. I believe my brand loyalty is justified. Samsung televisions are slightly cheaper, but they don't live up to the same quality. The only other brand that comes close is Philips.


The first picture was a catalogue picture. The second is a snapshot of my new television on my desk. Doesn't it look beautiful? It's thinner than my old television, only 6 inches instead of 8.5 inches. Despite being so thin, the sound from the internal speakers is adequate. I wouldn't say it's good enough for listening to music, but it's more than sufficient for a typical film. I have a BOSE soundbar, so I shan't be using the internal speakers often, but I'm still impressed.

I received the television on Saturday evening, but I didn't have time to unpack it until Sunday after coming back from "Das Fliegende Klassenzimmer". By the time I was finished I was too tired to watch a film, so I just watched a short video, the one pictured above. Does anyone recognise the young lady? This morning I watched "Mandy". My last viewing was recent enough for me to be able to tell the difference.

Wow!

What else can I say?

Wow!

Non-OLED televisions corrupt the picture. I can see that now. I might not have immediately seen a difference with other films, but "Mandy" has special cinematography that needs a special television. If any of my readers are unsure whether the extra price of an OLED television is worth it, watch "Mandy". I'm still able to compare. My 32 inch computer monitor (LG, naturally) is good quality, but not OLED. I watched about ten minutes of "Mandy" before I started this review, flicking forward from scene to scene, and it looks disgusting in comparison. "Mandy" needs OLED.

I'm sure that cinephiles will notice improvements with other films. Subtle improvements. But "Mandy" is the best film for a direct comparison. Maybe you have a bigger room than me and have space for a 65 inch television. I would have bought a bigger television if I'd had a better room. The experts say that the ideal distance from a television is 1.6 times the size of the television. That means I should be sitting 77 inches away from my 48 inch television. I actually sit 74 inches away, which is close to the optimal distance. I'd have to sit 104 inches away from a 65 inch television. I don't have enough room.

Success Rate:  - 5.5

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.