Sunday 7 January 2024

Barbie (5 Stars)


"Barbie" isn't in my top 100 films list at the moment, but I'll add it the next time I revise my list. That's a promise. It only became eligible for my list today. I only put films in my list that are available for me to watch whenever I want. That usually means that I own the film on Blu-ray or DVD, but I also accept films of which I have a digital copy. I bought "Barbie" today as a special offer for 99 cents.

"The Marvels" was criticised for having too much emphasis on a message. But look at "Barbie". The message is laid on thick for the whole film, but it's still an excellent film, because it also has a good story. I don't care about messages, unless it's a message that I'm violently opposed to. I want a good story, and that's something that "Barbie" has. It was the biggest box office success of 2023, and deservedly so. We need more films like "Barbie". We need more Barbie (and less Ken).

In Germany there were complaints about the film's age rating. It's allowed to be watched by children from the age of 6, but many people consider it unsuitable for children, in particular unsuitable for young girls. They say the film brainwashes young girls to look down on men. So what? We live in a new age. After thousands of years of being suppressed, women are learning that they don't need men. They can live their own lives, with or without a man. Insecure men are taking the path of claiming to be women in men's bodies to raise themselves to women's level. I'm sorry to say it, but no amount of putting on women's clothes or cutting off parts of your body will ever make you a man. You'll never be a Barbie, the best you can be is a Ken.

Success Rate:  + 9.3

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.