Friday 5 January 2024

Kin (3 Stars)


For the last two weeks I've been watching films from my top 100 films list. This evening I already had a film lying on my desk, but my son asked me if we could watch a horror film instead. Theoretically, I could have looked through my list and picked a horror film – there are a few – but I pulled "Kin" from the shelf instead. It's a film I picked up from a bargain bin last month. I actually made a mistake. It's not a horror film, it's a science fiction film. Nobody's perfect.

Elijah is a 14-year-old boy who lives with his father in Detroit. He's recently been suspended from school for fighting, so he spends the days looking for copper to sell as scrap metal. In an abandoned factory he finds dead bodies in strange costumes. Lying next to one of them is a strange weapon. He takes it home with him.

Elijah's older brother Jimmy returns home after six years in prison for armed robbery. The members of his former gang remind him that he owes them $60,000. He asks his father for a loan, but he doesn't have that much money. Together with his gang, Jimmy breaks into the safe of the office where his father works. It's late at night, but his father unexpectedly turns up. In a gunfight the father and one of the gang members are shot dead. Jimmy takes the money and flees with Elijah to a cabin in Nevada.

On the way, Elijah discovers that the weapon has phenomenal force. It doesn't just kill people, it can blow holes through walls. Jimmy is being pursued by the gangsters, and Elijah is being pursued by alien warriors who want their weapon back.

The film is okay. There's action and suspense, but it's lacking the magic needed for a higher rating. My son enjoyed it a lot, but not me. I expect more from a film. I should have watched a horror film from my list. And I should stop buying films from bargain bins. They're rarely any good

Success Rate:  - 2.9

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.