Wednesday 17 January 2024

Everything everywhere all at once (5 Stars)


I must be getting old. I was planning to go to the cinema today to see "The Royal Hotel", but I changed my mind because it was too cold. That's the first time the weather has ever kept me away from a film. I don't want to make a habit of it. It's going to be shown again on Monday, so I have a second chance to prove I'm not a wimp. Actually it's being shown every day, but most days it's being shown dubbed into German. I have to wait until Monday to get another chance to see it with the original English dialogue.

So I used my evening at home to watch "Everything everywhere all at once", which I haven't watched for 18 months. It's an incredible film, one of my top films of 2022. I put it in third place. Maybe it should have been first. If I get a chance I'll watch all of the top three films to make up my mind. I shan't change the list now, what's done is done. The only changes I ever make to old posts is to correct spelling mistakes. But I'll tell you in a new post if I change my mind.

One thing I can tell you is that it won the Oscar for Best Film last year, along with six other Oscars. This amazed me, not because it's a great film, but because the highbrow film critics agree that it's a great film. It's a rarity for one of my favourite films to be showered with Oscars. It's also unusual for a science fiction film to be picked as Best Film at the Academy Awards. Has it ever happened before? Let me check. *long pause* Yes, "The Shape of Water" won the Best Film Oscar in 2017, but I think that it was the only other science fiction film until now. Please leave a comment and let me know if I've missed anything.

I like "Everything everywhere all at once", but do I really understand it? What I mean is, I can sit and describe the plot, but I don't know the underlying meaning of the film. I don't know what the director is trying to say. I need to look for a review by one of the highbrow critics that I'm always criticising. One of them might have something valid to say. If I find something that I agree with, I'll let you know in my next review. Until then, I'll leave you with a few photos of the laundromat owner Evelyn Wang.







Success Rate:  + 8.0

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.