Friday 26 April 2013

Snow White and the Huntsman (4 Stars)


This is a retelling of the story of Snow White. It isn't a film I normally would have watched, but a friend strongly recommended it, and I wasn't disappointed. It's a lot closer to the fairy tale than I expected, the action is exciting, and the special effects are impressive. I only have one fault with the film, and it's a big fault. I waited till the end, when the credits rolled, to see who was responsible for the casting. There it stood: "Casting by Lucy Bevan".

Lucy, Lucy, you should be ashamed of yourself. The film is all about beauty. "Mirror, mirror, on the wall. Who is the fairest of them all?" Who in his right mind would find Kristen Stewart more attractive than Charlize Theron? Charlize is stunning, a Goddess among women, even now that she's almost 40. Despite all the hard work of the make up crew Kristen's appearance was dull. She doesn't even have average beauty, she's simply unattractive. She has buck teeth, large ears, a flat chest and narrow hips. In the fairy tale Snow White has blonde hair. Lucy Bevan did everything wrong. What was she thinking? Kristen Stewart doesn't even make up for her lack of good looks with acting skills. As an actress she is average at most. I'm sure there are at least 50, maybe 100 other actresses who would have been more suitable for the role. The best choice would have been Leelee Sobieski. Apart from being the best actress alive today, Leelee is beautiful enough to rival Charlize Theron. Anyone who has seen Leelee's performance in "Joan of Arc" will agree with me.

2 comments:

  1. You were extremely generous in the rating you gave this film. The casting was just one of many problems, granted it was the biggest problem. I would not recommend this film to anyone. Kristen Stewart should not even be classed as an actress, this girl couldn't even act surprised if someone snuck up on her! I did not like the film from the moment it started but I stayed put and watched the entire thing in hopes it would get better, my hubby didn't last 20 minutes and he quit watching. I would have to rewatch it to be able to list everything I hated about it, and its just not worth the torture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can list a few of the pluses in this film. (Or is the word spelt "plusses"?)

      1. Charlize Theron -- beautiful and great acting
      2. Chris Hemsworth -- good solid acting
      3. The dawrves -- I love them all, though my favorite is Nick Frost

      In fact, most of the acting is good. Except, unfortunately, the main character.

      Incidentally, a female friend of mine told me that Kristen Stewart breathes through her mouth, which makes men think she's sexy. Huh? What men think that? To me it just looks like she's trying to catch flies.

      Delete

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.