Wednesday 30 October 2013

Thor: Dark World (4½ Stars)


The film continues where "The Avengers" left off. Thor is fighting battles in the nine worlds to make peace. His brother Loki is still imprisoned. Jane Foster is attempting to move on with her life, since she hasn't seen Thor since the first film ended. This film centres around the return of a dark elf, Malekith, who plans to use a long hidden weapon to destroy all nine worlds, plunging them into darkness. Jane unwittingly becomes a pawn in the battle, and Thor has to fight to protect her. I was happy to see that the final battle took place in London. Why should New York, in particular Manhattan, always be smashed up in big action films? London deserves to be destroyed as well.

The film has incredible action scenes, balanced with a good dose of humour. It's definitely worth seeing in the cinema. I saw it in 3D, but in my opinion the 3D is unnecessary and doesn't add anything to the film. I'll probably go to see the film again on Sunday.

Here's an important spoiler for people intending to see the film in the cinema. There are two additional scenes. The first is in the middle of the credits, and it has some importance as introducing a character for the "Guardians of the Galaxy" film. The second is at the end of the film, and even though it's not essential to the plot it's worth watching. Please don't run out of the film too fast.

I left the cinema at 2am and decided to walk home. I walked past the homeless people who sleep in front of the Birmingham Bullring. There were quite a lot of them, about 20 huddled up under their blankets. What shocked me most was seeing a mother with her two children, who looked about five or six years old. She was calling them to lie down. In my opinion it's totally wrong that small children have to sleep outdoors. That sort of thing makes me feel ashamed to be British.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this, although the original Thor was also very good. The ending to the film is a brilliant twist and I hope they make the most of it for no.3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure what they'll do in "Thor: Ragnarok". I've got nervous with Tom Hiddleston saying he might not play Loki again. That would be dreadful. We need him for the next Thor film, and possibly for the next two Avengers films. In the Infinity Gauntlet comics Loki didn't play a significant role. The main villains (apart from Thanos himself) were Mephisto, Death and Nebula. I've had a suspicion all along that Loki will replace Mephisto, since Mephisto hasn't been introduced into the Marvel films yet. That would work well, but Loki could be written out without harming the story. The worst thing Marvel could do at this moment is hire a different actor to play Loki. Tom Hiddleston was perfect for the role.

      Delete

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.