Sunday 1 January 2017

Terminator (5 Stars)


As my regular readers already know – because I keep repeating it – this blog is intended to be a film diary rather than a film review site. I keep a record of every film I watch, however often I watch it. This leads to the problem that if I watch a film repeatedly, because it's one of my favourite films, I run out of things to say about it.

That wouldn't be a problem in itself. I could just write "This is the fifth time I've watched <fill-in-the-blank>" and be done with it. However, there's a problem in the way Google indexes web sites for its search engine. When a site has several pages with the same name it picks one of them as canonical and ignores the others. That means, in the case of "Terminator", only one of the five reviews I've written about it is listed in Google's search results. The other four pages are ignored completely. In most cases the most recent page, this one, is treated as canonical, even though the older reviews are more informative. That's a shame. In theory I could tweak my pages by adding HTML code to force the indexing of my older pages, but that would be a lot of work.

On the other hand, I rely on my reviews being read by regular readers who love my blog, so they access my pages without the use of a search engine. Anyone who opens my blog's home page will see the posts for my last seven active days, so if they visit my blog at least once a week they'll never miss anything. My regular readers also know how to access my alphabetical list of posts (effectively my film list), so they can find all my reviews of "Terminator" with little trouble.

I'm not sure what the best solution to the problem is. I welcome suggestions from my readers.

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.