Friday 5 January 2018

800 Bullets (5 Stars)


This is one of the best films ever made.

If I ended my review after that one sentence it would be enough.

Alex de la Iglesia is my favourite European director, and this is his best film. The comedy on the surface barely succeeds in hiding the emotional depth beneath. There are multiple layers of meaning, and if I watched the film every day for a week I could concentrate on a different meaning each day.

It's a family drama. We see a broken family trying to find its way back together. 12-year-old Carlos loves both his mother and his grandfather, but they hate one another, so can he find a way to have a relationship with both of them? It's not easy. His mother lives in the present, while his grandfather lives in the past. His mother is an executive in an international real estate company, while his grandfather is clinging to his past successes in the 1960's, wearing Clint Eastwood's poncho and having sex with Raquel Welch.

I don't understand why I waited five years to watch this film again. I should make a rule about re-watching at least one of my favourite films every week.

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.